Sunday, October 9, 2011

Who Do You Trust?

I know that I am showing my age, but I remember watching a TV show going up and the title was “Who Do You Trust?” It was a quiz show, and it was fun to watch, but I really don’t remember anything else about it. I do know that it was in Black and White, so it was before the days of color TV. Yes, that was along time. I remember when we got our first color TV. There were only two or three shows on that were in color. Bonanza was ne of them, and every Sunday night, Dad would let us stay up well b=past our bedtime to watch it. It was amazing. How time flies! Now we have big flat screen HD and even 3D TV’s. It’s really hard to believe all that has changed.

Anyway, back to the title. “Who do you trust?” could have been a great sermon title for Scott’s message this morning. He really nailed it, and it made me stop and reflect on a lot of things. Who am I trusting right now? Really, am I trusting myself more than God? Am I trusting others, my work, my wife, my children? There are many questions that need to be asked, but more importantly, answered. I never really thought about it for years. Many years I lived thinking that I was trusting God for all my provision. In reality, I was trusting Delta Air Lines. They were really my financial source, but I thought that I was trusting Papa. After I retired, it didn’t take me a long time to realize that I was really not trusting God, but I was rather trusting my company. Going into retirement, I was still trusting Delta.

When it looked like they were going to go bankrupt, instead of turning to God, I turned to myself with not very good results. It was only when Delta went bankrupt and canceled my retirement did I realize that I wasn’t really trusting Papa for my provision. Once I realized this, I repented and asked for forgiveness. Since then I have learned that I had to trust God for my provision. But what about other areas.

There are so many unknowns in life, and we have to deal with each of them as they come up. How do we do this? I believe it is by constantly asking Holy Spirit to evaluate our hearts. The bible says that we cannot know our own heart, and that is so true. The object is not to enter into a life of naval gazing, but of allowing Holy Spirit to look at our motives to see the truth and the quick repentance.

We can’t trust ourselves. We can’t look to men for our answers. Papa can use men, but they are not the source, and we shouldn’t look at them of the answers. They can help, but they really can’t heal. That takes years to get over unless you know how to come back to the main source. If we continue to press into Him, He will show us what things we need to let go in order to hear Him better. So, today, ask Holy Spirit, if you dare. Holy Spirit, are there are areas where I am trusting others instead of you? Don’t be afraid, He will tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment