Thursday, October 6, 2011

Free to Run; Free to Ride

Sheryl told me as I was driving back up north, “So, you are going to have a me day”. I thought for a minute and then I said to her that she was right. I was going to have a “me” day. I hadn’t really thought of it that way. It just sort of happened. But I am glad that it did. The day started off with an early morning A period. I was up at 3:15 and at work by 5AM. The good news is that today I was finished before 10. So I drove up to the house, stopping at Costco for gas and a few other things. Then I got to the house and unloaded. I had some things to do around the house before I was able to do any of the “me” things.

But finally around 1:15 I was able to go out for a 40 minute run. In the old days, that would be about 4 miles, but I’m slower and heavier now, so I know it was less than that. But it didn’t matter, it was fun and it was freedom. I have been so busy the last few days that I haven’t been able to schedule a run in. Running sets my spirit free. When I run, I can pray, talk to God or just zone out. I usually do a little of each. So today as I was running, I was enjoying the beautiful day and lovely weather. It was like I was getting a treat just to be able to be out in the sun feeling the wind at my face and the sweat running down my face. After the run, I cooled ddown and drank some water, then I got by boots and jeans on and went for a ride on my Harley.

Now riding my Harley on the back roads, looking out at farmland and pasture land filled with cows, seeing lakes and streams. That is really freedom. Today, I saw all of that. I was riding in a shout sleeve T-shirt, but I had my helmet, glasses and gloves ( well, really half gloves). But that really did feel like freedom. Riding with the wind at you face, leaning into curves as you go after your heart. It was a lot of fun. I wound up riding almost two hours. I went north, on the back roads into Cartersville and then through Cartersville up to the Harley Davidson store. There I looked around for a while and bought a couple of T-Shirts. Then I rode back. What I have learned during my rides is that I can have as much or more fun riding 35 mph on curvy back roads as going 65 on a main highway. In fact, I love the curvy slow roads better. You can get a look at the scenery better and everything seems to be about the journey and not the destination.

Anyway, I finished the night off watching a movie. I watched Transformers – dark side of the moon. It was OK. It did have a lot of special effects, but the plot wasn’t that great. I’ve seen better movies so I’m glad that I didn’t spend the money to see it at the theater. I guess it was a me day. But it was a day of once again feeling the freedom to press into all that God has for me, and freedom to be willing to do whatever it is He called me to do. I know that it was a good day, an relaxing day, and I needed on of those very badly.

No comments:

Post a Comment