Friday, May 13, 2011

Water for Elephants (Blog website was down)

This post was done last night, but the website was down and I couldn't post it until now (sorry)

Sheryl and I went to movie today. She wanted to see Water for Elephants and I didn’t really have any objection although I wasn’t sure whether I would like it. I was afraid it would be a “chick flick” but it really wasn’t. It’s a story set in the 30’s during the depression and it deals with live in the circus, but the circus represents just a micro chasm of what life is life in the US at that time.

The hero is a sensitive gentle spirited man who leaves school just as he is about to get his vet license. He runs away after the death of his mom and winds up working in a circus. The whole story is about him keeping his gentle spirit and love for animals in the midst of total despair and terror. Of course He falls in love and that causes much havoc in his life. Although he comes close, he never succumbs to the desire to kill. In the end, he is ready to kill his enemy, he can’t do it.

It’s a good movie about how we as believers have a higher calling. Sure we can see despair all around us, but we have the responsibility to bring in the Kingdom of Heaven to every area we minister. That even includes a place like this depraved circus. He tries to help the animals even when men are starving in the streets, but the animals are something that he can do something about right now, so he does.

Isn’t that how we are supposed to act. It doesn’t matter how we are or where we are. Our job is step up to the plate to the plate and do what we can do to expand the Kingdom. We have to live in the circuses of this world if we are going to make a difference. After all this is what Jesus did. So he does make a difference, gets the girl and saves her from the nasty villain. I know it sounds corny as a movie, but I did enjoy it ,and it really did show an era in American life that was pretty dark and full of men just trying to make it. In the end, He won because He didn’t allow circumstances to dictate his actions. Instead he looked at the ultimate prize and He didn’t waiver.

So it was a good movie, and I get to have an A period tomorrow. The best thing is that I can sleep in because it’s a modified A period and I don’t have to be there until 7:30. So I think I will go get some sleep, it’s been a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment