Monday, May 30, 2011

A Perfect Day?

Can there be a perfect day? If so, what would that look like? I think that a perfect day would mean many different things to many different people. What would a perfect day look like to you? I’m just thinking about this because I had such a good day today that it might be considered to be perfect, if there is such a thing. The funny thing is this. What might be a perfect day in this season of my life might not even rate the top ten in another season, So all of this is very subjective and subject to much thought. But the question still remains, what is a perfect day? Well right now in this season of my life, I think I almost had one. The only thing more perfect was to have had some time with all of my family.

We have been at Lake Lanier with Bud and Cathy at their lake house. Mike and Tonya were there too. It was a beautiful day, and almost perfect day for a Memorial Day holiday. I got up at 8 and had coffee down on the dock with Sheryl. We listened to all the birds and watched the sun come up over the trees. We spent an hour down there just talking and watching the lake come to life. Then we all got together for breakfast. After breakfast, we all went down to the dock. We got on their big float that is tethered to the dock with a long rope. That was just total relaxation and we probably stayed on it for over an hour. Then we swam for a while. During this time Bud and Mike had gone to Auto Zone to buy another battery for the boat. We had tried to start it yesterday, and the battery was bad. So anyway, we got a battery so then we all took a boat ride.

I love flying airplanes; everything seems orderly and controlled. In most cases it is. Driving a boat on a lake is another matter; especially on a holiday weekend. It was like a bowl of total chaos. But it was a lot of fun. Bud was our driver and he did a great job. We were just along for the ride, and that was so much fun, not having to be in control or in charge. Maybe that is part of why it was so perfect. We were just along for the ride. We were sort of left alone, but included as well. We had no responsibilities. That’s probably the first time in a long time when that was ever the case.

For lunch we had Kabobs that were to die for. A Thai peanut dipping sauce took the kabobs over the top. Once lunch was over we were back on the raft floating and sunning ourselves. All we did was talk and think about the future. It was as if every care in the world just sort of melted away. Maybe that had a lot to do with making it seem like a perfect day. I do know that being with friends is important. And today was just such a great day in every area.

Of course, it helps to be in love. I am always amazed every time I spend more time with Sheryl. She truly is a gift from God to me and I can’t wait for the girls to meet her. So I guess I might have answered my question. At this time in my life, a perfect day would be one that was filled with family, friends and those you love. It would be a day that was so carefree that all of your cares were just washed away. It would be a day that you could see and almost touch God’s glory. Yes, today was almost perfect. I’m not sure if it can ever be totally perfect, but almost perfect is still very good. I would like to have more of them. You know what? I think that I am going to have more very soon. Yes, I know that God is good. Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment