Sunday, September 26, 2010

Day 257 - On My Way

This blog is for Friday Sept 24th. It’s almost nine thirty back home. Right now I’m at 37000 feet somewhere over Oklahoma heading towards Los Angeles. This is my first blog in an airplane. It’s hard to believe that I am actually on my way. All say today as I was packing and cleaning the house, (yes, I left it clean), I kept checking the flights. I really don’t see any chance of getting business class, but I’m still asking for it. But the flights tomorrow didn’t look that much better. I think I will get on the flight to Sydney, but you never know. Anyway I decided just to start and see what happened.

I went to work this morning. I got up at 4:30 and was at work by 6:30. I was back home a little before 11AM. I wanted to run, but didn’t get to. I wanted to ride my bike but didn’t get to do that either. I just had too much packing and “stuff” to do. For one thing, I had to get reservations in Sydney. I found a pretty good hotel on lie for 100 per night. It might not be the best, but the location and price were good. How much am I going to stay in it anyway? After I had packed then I spent the rest of the afternoon folding clothes ad cleaning. The house looks good. I’m sure Julia is happy. I also got to water the plants and I am sure they are happy. That should keep them alive until I get back.

I’m sitting in the back, but I have a window seat on an exit row. I have plenty of leg room. I ate a turkey Cuban sandwich, but it wasn’t really like a Cuban. It was pretty good and I knew that I wouldn’t eat for a while. I really don’t know what to expect in Australia. I do know that I will take the rail from the airport to the city. My hotel is almost across from the main rail station in the city. I will have to get them to store my luggage, and I will have to go sightseeing when I get there. I can’t check into the hotel until 2PM and I will land around 7. Hopefully I will get to sleep a good bit on the flight because I will not be able to get a nap when I land.

My excitement about seeing Sydney and Australia is being tempered by the loneliness that I feel not having Julia by my side. I wish that we had traveled more these past few years. We had so many places we wanted to see together, but we were healthy and had all the time in the world. At least that’s what we thought. If I have any advice for my friends it would be this. Don’t put off what you want to do. Go, travel, have fun and make memories. Time slips away so quickly. So I will go around Sydney by myself. I’ll have fun and see a lot, but in the back of my thoughts will be what it would have been like with Julia. This two days will be the hardest. When I get with Scott. Lacey and Jason. Then we will be too busy in ministry to spend much time thinking about what might have been.

I don’t know when I will get to post this. If there is Internet in LAX, I’ll post it then, otherwise it will be after I get to the Hotel in Sydney. I have probably another blog to do before I get to Sydney. I’ll check the time, I might get to wait until after I get to the hotel. Anyway, bear with me as I go through this adventure. It should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment