Thursday, July 1, 2010

Day 171 - Back Home,Finally

Well, it’s 12:50 AM and I am late with this edition of my blog. Late with good reason though. We didn’t drive in until 11:25, and I had to unpack the car so that I could go pick up Adair and Meleah tomorrow morning. Although now it doesn’t like they will make that flight I have to be prepared just in case. I’m tired, so this will probably be pretty short tonight.

The movers came at 7:30 this morning. Thank goodness we were all up and about because we didn’t expect them until around 9. Anyway the got started around 8 and finished packing at 12 noon. That sounds good, but Lisa’s car was in the shop, and she had to drive to get it. Her car had all the car seats, so I got to stay in a completely empty house for an hour and a half with Anna Roan and Julia Anne. They did pretty good considering that there was absolutely nothing there to entertain them. No chairs to sit in or anything to play with. But we survived and Lisa got back around 1:30. I had pretty much packed my car before she left, so it didn’t take us but about an hour to finish up emptying out the refrigerator and packing up the rest of the stuff in her car and my car. We actually got on the road to Atlanta at 2:48PM. I remembered the time because I was hoping to get away by 2, but knowing in my heart that that was too optimistic. Of course that is 3:48 Eastern time. By all accounts, I am able to drive back to my house from Mobile in five and a half hours, six hours tops. So I was hoping that we could make it by 10PM. No such luck.

It’s been a long time since I traveled with little kids. Lisa had Anna, Julia and two dogs with her. I was following her in my car with about 2500 pounds of “stuff”. We had just gotten out of Mobile and it was pouring down rain when Lisa signaled to get off I-65. My first thought was something must be wrong with her car. Praise God that wasn’t the case. She pulled into a service station and I pulled up beside her. Anna had to go to the bathroom. OK, so this was my first clue of how the day would go for all of us. Lisa has something that I wish we had had when Julia and I were traveling with kids. It’s a portable potty. It has ziplock bags and everything. Anna didn’t even have to go inside the station. But she did have to get out of her car seat, so that’s why we stopped. Anyway that didn’t take too long and we were off again.

We had probably gone an hour longer when she pulled off again. This time Julia needed to be fed. She had been crying for twenty of thirty minutes. I was lucky. No one was crying in my car. We pulled overf again and about 25 minutes later we got going again. We were still almost 100 miles south of Montgomery. By then, I knew it was going to be a long night. We stopped in Montgomery for dinner and gas and then got back underway. By then it was dark and fatigue set in on the kids. They managed to sleep most of the way home; otherwise we might still be on the road. All in all, it took us over seven and a half hours to make it this far. I’m definitely not looking forward to the drive to VA next week. Anyway we are here now, and it’s good to be sitting back in my rocking chair even though it is very late.

I pray the girls make it on the flight tomorrow. It is getting harder and harder to travel standby on Delta. I don’t want them to be disappointed. Well it’s off to bed for about five hours sleep. I’ll have more to say tomorrow night. Right now, I just thank God that we are here safe and sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment