Saturday, July 3, 2010

Day 174 - Family!

I wish that my love and emotions could just paint a picture. It would be probably be a landscape full of splashes of bright colors. Yellows and blues with flashes of brilliance like the sunlight bouncing off daisies in the field overlooking the blue waters of the ocean with white puffy clouds. It would probably be like something Monet would paint. It would be like a Mediterranean sunrise over a seaside village. That is how I feel tonight. Each color would represent different feelings that are almost overflowing. Each different, yet blending in with each other so that it is hard to describe in just words, but I will try. Family, that word probably means something different to everyone who reads this, yet it has the same meaning as well. What is family? I believe the family was meant to be God’s representation on earth of how we are supposed to relate to Him; Him being the Trinity (Father, Son and Holy Spirit). It is where we form our identity. And establish how we relate to each other. It is where we either learn fear of love. It is where we can go when we need a safe place. Our family helps define who we are, and tells us where we came from. So, in the scheme of things, I think that Family is very important.

Having said that, it is amazing to me how much we can love each other and still not spend time with each other. I am talking about myself, because I am probably one of the biggest offenders at this. My Dad lives in Peachtree City, one of my sisters lives in Kennesaw and the other in Douglasville. Almost all my nieces and nephews live in the metro area. Only one niece and my daughters live outside the Atlanta area and yet we only see each other maybe 3 or 4 times a year. We talk or facebook, text but we don’t get together. Each of us has our won separate life and we are all extremely busy. Is this good or bad? I don’t know. I do know this; I really enjoy it when we can all get together. Today was one of those days.

This morning I made another trip to the airport and picked up Jennifer coming from Ft Lauderdale and Hernan coming from Mobile. This afternoon we went to my sister Kay’s house for a fourth of July outing. For the past few years, Lisa and Jennifer and all their kids haven’t been to b=very many outings because they live so far away. Only Sean, Jennifer’s husband was missing today. He had to stay and pack because they are moving on the 15th. We really missed him, but totally understand. All my sisters and neices and nephews, with the exception of Missy and Joe who live in Jacksonville, were there today. It felt so good to see, hug and talk to everybody. We had BBQ and Brunswick stew. Dad has a great receipt and Gil helped him make it for today. It is probably the best stew that I have ever had, and today was no exception. The grandkids were all playing together and it was just a great time.

Julia and I used to host almost all the family outings. We took over from Mom and Dad when they downsized and moved into a Condo. It was some of our most enjoyable times, and Julia loved my family so much. She really enjoyed hosting, and she had such a gift of hospitality. Iknow that today was a special day. She was looking down on us enjoying Julia, Anna, Adair and Meleah playing with each other and the other children. Part of my painting of my emotions would be her absence today, but I know that in many ways she wasn’t absent. She was a part of it as well as my mom and my sister Thurla who were probably both with her watching today.

It’s really hard getting all the extended family together, and I know it is just going to get harder, but it is worth the effort. When we are together, it is easy to see where we came from. It is good for the kids to know their uncles and aunts as well as all their cousins. So I hope we continue to make the effort to come together at least once a year. With Matt’s family moving to Cleveland Ohio, Missy and Joe in Jacksonville, Lisa in Norfolk VA and Jennifer in Ft Lauderdale it will be hard. But I will try to help make it happen. If we don’t have family, what do we have? I know that I have many friends and church family, but I have to try and bring my exended family together so we can know each other. It really is important.

Well tomorrow is a big day. Julia Anne will be dedicated at RiverStone. I will have to hurry there from running my 30th Peachtree and then we will take Adair to her first Youth Camp. I’m going over to the Steeds to use their extra bedroom. My house is full. It sure is nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment