Monday, January 31, 2011

Where Did the Month Go?

In less than an hour it will be Feb 1st. It seems like yesterday that I was with all the family at Hilton Head. I just can’t believe it. I look back and it seems like a flash. The problem is that I haven’t been able to see the kids at all this month, and I won’t be able to see them next month. I have to work out March. One year olds change a lot in a couple of months. So do four year olds and 11 and 13 year olds too. Me, I don’t change that fast; maybe a few pounds heavier or a few pounds lighter. Mo, I have to schedule a time to see them in March if possible, early April if necessary.

But for now, I’m here; at least for the next two weeks. Thank goodness tomorrow is my last day at work for a few days. Seven days in a row is too much. I do feel better tonight; eight hours of sleep usually helps. Tonight it will probably be around six. I’ve got to get on my dream list. I plan on doing that on Wed and Thursday morning. I’m definitely more interested in getting it done since Danny Silk was here. I definitely want to get my list down on paper. I was joking and called this my “Bucket List”. In some ways I guess that it is. It is a list of things that I want to do here on earth before I leave. Well, whatever.

So, what is the difference between Vision and Mission? I was listening to a CD from Kris Vallatton while driving today. He basically said that a mission comes as a result of a vision. I believe He is right. But it’s easier to write a mission statement than articulate a vision. A mission comes because you see in your spirit things that need to be done, but if you really look deep inside you begin to see more. You see your passion come alive and you can envision how things can change as you bring the Kingdom into your area of influence. This has really set me thinking. I will have to listen to the message again tomorrow as I drive to work. I have been looking at a mission, but what is the vision behind the mission? That is the key.

It’s hard to gather people and rally them around a mission, but if you can share a vision, you can ignite passion and stir up the gifts in people who want to be a part of something big. So part of my assignment for myself is to articulate a vision for the rest of my life in ministry. As I can articulate that, then the mission statement will flow. Then it will be interesting to see if anyone else can grasp hold of the vision. It will be interesting to see what the vision looks like. I haven’t really thought about it like that, but it makes sense. Hopefully it will help define some of my other questions. I just know that if I answer the key question, all the rest will fall into place.

Well it’s late and work is waiting, then school. So I guess it’s time for bed. Maybe I can think about my vision as I go to sleep. No chance, I’ll be asleep right after my head hits the pillow. Well there is tomorrow, after all it is a new month.

No comments:

Post a Comment