Sunday, March 27, 2011

"The Adjustment Bureau"

Well, I got to see the Adjustment Bureau again this afternoon after church. It was just as good the second time as it was the first. It was a very interesting movie, and in many ways was like “The Game” which I saw Thursday night. I guess the question we have to answer is this: Does God have a plan for our lives, and if so, how does free will impact that plan? Personally I think that He does have a plan. I mean He is the beginning and the end. There is no time – space continuum for Him. He has seen my life from beginning and at the ending, so He knows what is going to happen before it happens.

So what does that do to free will? You could also ask the question “What does it do to predestination?” Think about it. If He knows the end, then He knows what choices we will take. Does that mean that He predestines us to make those choices? No, I don’t think so. I believe that He really does give us free will. Otherwise how could our love for Him be real. But having given us free will, He knows how things end because He has already seen the ending.

In the movie, the “Chairman” had a plan and the “Adjustment Bureau” had to keep the plan in track. But when a strong free will got involved, the plan was altered and got off track. The Bureau does everything it can to “adjust” the reality so that they can get back on plan. God on the other hand knows the ending so He doesn’t have to change the plan. But I do believe that He wants us to pursue our dreams and follow our hearts using all of our free will to go after our passions.

I believe that He wants us to “write our own plan” but going hard after the desires of our hearts that He has placed within us. He has placed hidden things in our hearts. As we grow in intimacy with Him, these things are revealed and become our passions and dreams. When we go after these with everything we have, we write our own plan. But since He has already seen the ending, it is His plan too, because He helps “adjust” our path along the way to make it all happen.

So, do I believe in free will? Yes, of course. Do I believe in predestination? Yes of course, since God has already seen the end and knows what our heart is after. Sure it is a paradox. But aren’t many things in scripture? Why does it have to be one way or the other. I believe that God is so big He can use everything to bring forth His Kingdom. Maybe even an “Adjustment Bureau”. : > )

No comments:

Post a Comment