Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Day 339 - Mele Kalikimaka

I was driving back form work his afternoon when a Bing Crosby song cam on the radio. I was listening to Christmas music. The song was “Mele Kalikimaka” That’s Hawaiian for Merry Christmas. I had to smile as I heard this song. It reminded me of our first Christmas together. I know that I have written about this before, but probably not like this. Mele Kalikimaka: it’s a fun word to say, and you can’t help smiling when you say it. We were living in the Ambassador Hotel in Wai Ki Ki, downtown Honolulu when we firs heard the song. We had already heard the words, but they were too hard to memorize. When we heard the song and started singing it, the words were easily memorized. If fact they were learned so well that I still know them, and so did Julia. That became our thing. We would tell each other “Mele Kalikimaka” and grin at each other. It was like, “We did it, and we survived despite all the odds”.

I think back of Christmas in Hawaii with fond memories, especially as I sit here in the cold with icy roads and almost everything shut down for the night. It’s only December, how can we possibly have all this weather so soon. Right now almost all the roads are covered in ice. I have an appointment in Marietta at 9AM in the morning, but I think I will probably have to cancel it and reschedule. It would be nice to be in Hawaii for Christmas. We were there four years ago. Anna was about to be born. Of course we didn’t know it was Anna, as far as we knew it could have been a boy. It’s hard to think that Anna could have ever been a boy. Where would you have released all the drama that she releases every day. She is such a Princess. I love it. The problem is that Julia is already trying to pull her off her throne. It’s going to be interesting watching all this in the next week.

Christmas in Hawaii was all about lights and decorations. Many streets would have contests with all the neighbors going all out. It was great fun to spend Christmas eve just walking around the neighborhood in your shorts and shirtsleeves, watching all the lights and decorations. It was great. In this cold, I really miss it.

Well, I got the list from Lisa, and I think that I am taking all the kitchen to Hilton Head. The one thing she didn’t ask for and I am adding is the organic popcorn and Coconut Oil. I know the girls are going to want me to fix some at night. At least I hope I will have an excuse to make it. Hilton Head will be in the 50’s and for me that will be a thaw. But for Jennifer and Sean, it will be cold. We will definitely ride bikes and walk on the beach, even if it is only in the hottest part of the day.

It’s been a good day, I am happy and ready for the beach and tome with my family. It’s going to be a great time together. Julia will be there in Spirit, and we will spend a lot of time loving on each other. I can’t wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment