Saturday, December 11, 2010

Day 335 - A Gray Day

Well, I was going to the BASSM Christmas party tonight. I didn’t make it; long story. The morning began well; I slept in because I had been up early all week. I didn’t have to be at work until 1:40 so I didn’t sit an alarm clock. That was my first mistake. The next thing I knew it was after 10AM. I really didn’t plan on sleeping that long. There were things I wanted to get done, and now I didn’t have time to do them. Well, it was OK, I did get a shower and do a few things around the house, but I was not happy that I had slept so long. So, at noon, I went to work. I left early enough that I was able to make a stop at Michaels to pick up some stuff I needed to get for school on Monday night. Then on the way to work I stopped at Starbucks for a Latte to take to work. That was my second mistake for the day.

As I got to work, I decided to transfer the latte to my travel mug. I have done this many times before. I was in the parking lot and when I transferred the coffee, I tipped over the mug and spilled half of it on my pants. That was not fun, the good news is that I didn’t get burned. The bad news is that my pants were very wet. The only good thing I could think of was that I was wearing Kaki pants, and the latte stain wouldn’t be to noticeable when it dried. I immediately tossed my keys down on the console, got up out of the car and recovered what was left of the latte. Then I proceeded to try to dry off my pants and the seat. Then I got my coffee, locked the car door and went to work.

Work went well. I had one student for a check ride ant things were going according to plan. I would hopefully be through about 6 and then go to the party. It started at 6, but I would just be a little late. Well, all was going according to plan. In fact, I even finished a little early. I was walking down the hall, thinking about leaving and stopping by Publix to pick up a Key Lime pie for desert. It was going to be a good night. I reached for my keys. They weren’t in my pocket. I felt my belt, they weren’t there. When they weren’t in my jacket pocket I realized that I was in trouble. I went out to the car, hoping that the keys were not in the car, but when I looked in the window, there they were, right on the console where I had tossed them when I spilt the coffee. The sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach just made me realize thatit was going to be a long night.

Years ago, Delta Security would be able to help you open your car if it was locked. I know that for a fact. This is not the first time I have done this. But it has been about five years, so I thought that I had learned my lesson. Anyway, times change, and Delta Security no longer does those things. I had two choices. First, I could throw a brick through the window. Yes, I’ve done something like that before. I remember one rainy night I was going to the airport to fly a trip. I was running a little late, and I got out, locked the door and ran to the bus stop with my umbrella. It was then I realized that I had left my bag, keys and ID locked it the truck. I was in uniform with an umbrella. I was about to leave on a four-day trip and my bag was in the truck. I could have left my keys locked in the truck and dealt with it later, but I had to have my bag and ID. So I used the umbrella as a club and broke through the rear window of the truck. Do you know how hard it is to break a window with an umbrella? It took about five minutes before I could get in. I went on my trip and then I had to deal with the broken window when I got back. I didn’t want to do that tonight. There was no need. I would just call a locksmith and have the car opened. I have done that before too.

Well, I had to wait for over an hour for the locksmith to come. When He finally came he said that it would be 200 plus the service call to open the car. I knew that it was a lot, but from experience, I knew that it would cost more to replace the window. So, I reluctantly agreed. Well, I need to become a locksmith; or maybe a car thief. He had the car unlocked in less than two minutes. That’s 100 dollars a minute. I don’t think Matt Ryan makes that much a minute. Oh well, lesson learned. It was definitely an expensive cup of coffee. Next week I will have an extra key made.

So, I didn’t make the party and I was pretty bummed out at spending that much money. But I am home by the fire. It is warm and I am so blessed. I think of all those who are out on the streets tonight and especially for the next few days in the cold. Yes it was a gray day, but God is good, and He loves me.

No comments:

Post a Comment