Sunday, February 14, 2010

Day 35 - Happy Valentines Day

Julia loved Valentines Day, so I learned to love it. Early in our marriage, I was very cynical about it and other “holidays” that I thought Hallmark invented just to stay in business. Valentines Day was a plot hatched between the Flower industry, the candy companies and the card makers. At least that was my opinion when we first got married. However it didn’t take me long to realize that my new bride was very into Valentines Day, and I had better learn to romance her the way she wanted to be romanced. In the early years that was chocolate and dinner. Don’t forget the card. I always had a hard time finding the right card. I hated the mushy ones. I still do. They can be so mushy that it almost makes you sick. On the other hand I certainly couldn’t get a funny one. No it had to be romantic but not too mushy. Most years I would wind up on the 12th or 13th looking for a card. I might spend 30 minutes to one hour looking. I never found the perfect card the first time around. It always seemed to take a while. Finally I realized that it would just take a long time. But a few years ago I realized something really important that I want to pass on to you men who find yourselves in similar situations. I was looking for the perfect card. Of course I couldn’t find it. Then I saw this plain simple card. It was very nice. It didn’t have much to say. The lights went on in my mind. What does Julia really want? She wants you to say how much she means to you. So I bought that card, and then wrote a long letter in it. I would tell her all that she meant to me right then. It was similar every year, but different too. I personalized the card just for her. That was definitely a winner. So from then on, it only took me about ten minutes to find the card. I spent longer writing what I felt. That is what she loved the most. I would get her flowers in the later years, and always dinner. Sometimes out but many times just an intimate dinner at home. Yes, I learned to love Valentines day too.

This year I didn’t have to find the card, but tonight I want to write to you my love. Julia, you never knew how much I loved you. You knew I loved you, but I don’t think I was ever able to show you how much. I know that I tried to show you, but too many times I was too busy, too involved with other things. I love you for the little things, for your smile, for your making sure I am dressed properly, even when I don’t want to be. I love you for the mother and grandmother you are. I love you because you love me so much. I love you because of your passion for the Kingdom of God. I love you because you push me to be better, but love me when I’m not. I love you when you are holding the grandkids, when you are worried about the kids. I love you when you need to talk to me. I love you when I need to talk to you. I love you when we can both just be together without talking. I still love you more than ever. I miss you so much, I always will. Happy Valentines Day My Love!

2 comments:

  1. This is a meaningful post. Makes me appreciate the fact that I can still say, "I love you" to Bob. Your blog is wonderful and continues to teach us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! What a post. What a sweet love letter. We all learn so much from "watching" your marriage and the honest way that you share. I totally agree about just buying a card that says very little and then writing your own thoughts and feelings. That's the way to go on that!

    ReplyDelete