Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Counting the Costs

So, here I am thinking about what it takes to get in shape to run another marathon. I’ve started running more. I know that needs to increase, but that is happening and I think it will begin to take shape. But just as important, if not more so, is to loose about 20 pounds so I can run faster. Now that one is still illusive. I’ve started a diet every week for over a month, and if anything I feel heavier. So what’s the problem?

Kris Vallatton said something that I am finding so true. He said just wanting to lose weight because you felt fat wouldn’t motivate you. He said you needed a goal and a vision of what you wanted to become. This is so true. It’s true in every aspect of life. I know in learning to fly, we envision every maneuver. Runners do the same thing about their races and so do doctors as they learn new procedures. But just having the vision doesn’t make it happen. No, you have to count the cost of what you want to do and the you have to be willing to pay that cost to get it done.

That’s where I haven’t been able to cross the line. Since Julia’s death, I haven’t wanted top take on the cost of losing weight. I haven’t foa the long term been willing to use the discipline that I know I have to will myself to do what it takes to lose weight. I could, I know I could. I want to, that is until I had rather do something else. I can use the excuse that she was my motivation. In many ways that is true; but most of the time I was motivation her. I guess we motivated each other. Anyway, for what ever reason, I haven’t been willing to do what it takes in this one area. I know the cost, but I haven’t been willing to pay the price.

We have to count the costs in ever area of our life. There are things that we need to do, things that are not real fun, but necessary to our health. If we are not willing, we will eventually pay a price. It’s the same thing in the spiritual. We have to count the cost before we take the next step. We have to be willing to take the next step regardless of the cost. But that takes courage and passion. I can look around at countless people I knew that were running alongside for a season and all of a sudden they came up to an invisible line. They stopped and would go no farther. For a long time I didn’t understand; but they had gotten to a point where they weren’t willing to pay the price to continue. They had seen the cost and stopped short. I understand now, but I still don’t agree. There can be no cost too great for the pursuit of the presence of God. He has already paid it for us. But we get caught up in what our friends will think. How will we look? Is that acceptable? We have so many excuses.

OK, I want to pay the costs to follow after my Lord. I also am willing to pay the price to lose the weight I need to lose. Then I will be able to train again at full potential. I can see myself crossing the finish line of my 15th marathon sometimes this fall. My first step is to get online tomorrow afternoon and register for one. Then I really have to get a plan for losing weight and stick with it. I can do it and I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment