Sunday, December 11, 2011

Your Music Helps Define You


OK, I’m a baby boomer who came of age in the late 60’s.  I still live in the sixties in many ways.  I love sixties music, and I think about the cars I had in the 60’s.  I remember what went on in high school and college as if it were yesterday.  I don’t hang out with many of my friends anymore, but I remember most of them.  Here it is 2011, almost 2012, and I know more about The Doors and Peter, Paul and Mary  and The Beatles than I do about any current musician, or any musician since the early 70’s.  Strange isn’t it?  Not really.

I believe that we all have an era of music that defines us.  Today, we went to the Legacy Theater to see “A Swinging Christmas”.  It was about the Andrew Sisters as well as other entertainers of the late 40’s.  I knew almost all their music.  I wasn’t even born during most of their music, but I knew it because mom was stuck in the 40’s so I listened to it growing up with her.  The 40’s music helped define her, and she would have loved the play today.  I regret that I didn’t ask Dad and Allene to go with us, they probably would have loved it.  In fact, most of the people were people who probably were stuck in the forties.

I’m so glad I was stuck in the 60’s rather than today.  I would hate to have to drive all around every day for the rest of my life listening to Lady Gaga, or Justin Beaver.  I guess you love what you grow up with.  The good news is that is not the only music that I like. I love worship music and some classical.  But if I am looking just to kick back and relax, Pandora Radio comes on with my sixties channel to bring me back into my easy space. 

Yes, today was fun to step back in time, and the actors and actresses were unbelievable.  It was a good time to think back on my childhood, and remember the 40’s music that my mom loves do well.  Shoot,  I still listen to the 40’s during Christmas.  Bing Crosby is one of my favorite Christmas artists.  I’ll have to listen to some more of the Andrews Sisters; they were very good in their time.  No, I still won’t ever be able to embrace today’s music.   I’ll stay in the 60’s until I can’t listen anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment