Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Eve, Eve


It was almost 70 degrees in Atlanta today.  Way to warm for Christmas unless you are in Hawaii, Florida or Australia.  Since I am not in any of those places, it could be a little colder for Christmas.  I’m not really complaining, I was able to get out and take a six-mile run this afternoon without dressing up for winter.  That was really nice and it was the longest run that I have had in a long time.  We are getting ready for Christmas Eve.  We will have church tomorrow at 5 and then Scott, Lacey and the kids over for Christmas dinner.  Sheryl has been cooking most of the afternoon and evening, and I know that it will be a good dinner.  It’s still hard to believe that we are down here in Peachtree City.  It’s good, but everything seems so different.

One of the good things about being down here is that we can see Dad and Allene.  We are taking them to brunch tomorrow morning and that will be fun.  I still find myself thinking about Christmas last year in Hilton Head.  It was so cold.  We could have used some of this year’s weather there last year.  Oh well, you have to enjoy what you have when you have it, and that’s what I intend to do.  We had fun in Juneau, we will have fun here and then fun in Ft Lauderdale.  Three very different locations, but all filled with families and memories to be made and enjoyed.  What are some of your favorite memories?  

If you are like me, you probably have so many that it is hard to answer.  But as I think back on Christmas past, I have a hard time thinking of a bad memory.  Even the ones when we were so poor that we hardly had any gifts were very special because we had each other.  I was so fortunate that I had a home that was loving and joyful, especially around Christmas.  I know that is the type of home that we tried to give our girls growing up.  Gifts are nice, but the greatest gift you can give is yourself.  Giving yourself and your love to those who love you is so important.

I guess that’s why I still get so much pleasure listening to all the old Christmas songs.  I’m doing that now.  Listening to “Here Comes Santa Clause” reminds me of my aunt and uncle “Sister and JB”.  I think most of these memories were when I was around three and staying with them during Christmas time.  It was where I began to hear Bing Crosby, Perry Como and Gene Autry sing all the old Christmas songs. 
The show that we saw about the Andrews Sisters stirred up these memories too.  It’s amazing that I can remember something that long ago.   No, Christmas is about memories, so as I get older, it’s my responsibility to help make memories for my grandchildren.  I saw a card today at the store.  It said that Christmas was a great way to end one year and begin another.  I truly embrace that in reality, 2011 ends on Christmas Eve, and 2012 begins Christmas Morning.  It begins full of hope, joy and peace.  I pray that it will stay that way.  So, it’s about to be Christmas Eve, and this is a special time.  Enjoy it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment