Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Pearl

Wimber-"The pearl is Jesus. The pearl isn't a new career, the opportunity to make a name for yourself as a worship leader, pastor or leader. The pearl isn't even the ability to sustain yourself in a profession. The pearl is Jesus.”

Sometimes it is amazing how someone from the past can give a quote that is so relevant to what is going on in your life. As I was looking through Facebook this evening I saw this quote and it registered with me. It was as if Papa said, ”Tom, just slow down and remember what it is all about. It’s not about the school or the church. No, it’s not even about your relationship with Sheryl of your family. Those are all good, and a part of your destiny, but the pearl is Jesus. Don’t forget it.”

In the parable, a man found the pearl and then paid everything to buy the field it was in. As long as I can keep my eyes on Him, and rest in Him, then I don’t have to worry or strive or do anything to be accepted or succeed. Sure, there are responsibilities that I have, and those must be accomplished but they are not to advance myself or to prove to anyone that I belong. I belong because of Him. He is the one that has made me who I am, and as long as I se Him as the Pearl of Great Price then I will always be in the right place at the right time.

Today was a good day at work, and things are rapidly approaching. The girls will be in town starting the 17th and it will be so good to see everyone, but it is going to be very busy as well. There are a lot of moving parts to get in place, with Sheryl’s son and family coming into town. It is about to start being very busy that is why I hope that we can go to the lake with Bud and Cathy one more time this weekend. It will really be the calm before the storm.

So that is why that quote hit me today. I have to remember who the pearl is. I have to keep myself from being so wrapped up in all this stuff that I lose sight of the main thing. Another quote, this one by Peter Lord: “The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.” That is so true, and mo matter how hectic life gets, the main thing is to keep my focus on Jesus, His love and His goodness> I can do that, it’s just that I have to be reminded every now and then.

1 comment:

  1. Great Post. It is hard to stay focused with one billion things bombarding us every day, but we must try our very best to keep our eyes on the prize.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete