Thursday, August 5, 2010

Day 207 - Down the Mountain Once Again

I’m late tonight. It has been a good day, but I am running late with this post. We got up and then went to JC’s to catch the tram at 10. The tram left for Green Cove at 10:30 and I knew it was going to be crowded, but I had no idea how crowded it would be. We had three shuttles going up and when we got there, there were other shuttles unloading. When we got to the top, there were three other shuttles unloading form other companies. It was a madhouse. There were probably over sixty people about to begin their journey and I figured that we would be overwhelmed with kids and things that would keep us from having a good ride. The bottom line is that we had a great ride. It took us three hours to go 15 miles, but we stopped many places and enjoyed ourselves. Also, Dick didn’t have a flat tire today.

It’s hard to believe that we have to leave to go home tomorrow. The time has gone by so fast, and I really loved all the riding and just spending time with friends. I was amazed at what a good time I had, and how much Julia’s memories were present, but how for the most part, I didn’t miss her even though I thought about her early and often. Tonight we went to the Harvest Table for dinner. This is a great restaurant where we went to eat last year. They serve only local vegetables and grass fed beef. All of their wines are local and their chickens are free range. They have a great menu, and draw customers from the entire region. It was a great dining experience, just like last year. But as I sat down for dinner and looked around, I really missed Julia a lot. This restaurant was exactly what she wanted. Everything that they were doing, she had such a passion for. Even in the gift shop, waiting to eat, I could almost feel her presence. Every necklace I looked at looked like something that she bought last year. The color green on the walls of the restaurant was “her color”. It wa a great meal, but I was missing her so much when it was over that I could hardly stand it.

Then we came back to Quincy’s for desert. As we sat down to order desert, I realized that I really didn’t want one by myself. Everybody else was sharing. I know that if I had asked, I could have shared with anyone, but that wasn’t the point right then. I was missing Julia and feeling alone. It was getting late and I knew that I had to write this blog. I know it was a little awkward, but I excused myself and left to walk back the few blocks to the inn so that I could begin to write. I really wasn’t hungry, and I realized that I would be better off if I just left.

I’m fine now, but it was probably the loneliest that I have been in a while. I think that it was just a combination of being somewhere that Julia really cared about and all the memories from being there last year that just sort of overwhelmed me tonight. Anyway, we have had a great time this week, but I’ll be ready to get home tomorrow. I figure that we rode over 48 miles in three days. Considering all the rain that we had, that is pretty good. What I did learn was that I can go back. Just because Julia and I have made memories, that doesn’t keep me from enjoying the same thing again without her. That is a good lesson because it frees me up to do so many of the things that we enjoyed doing together. Will I miss her? Yes. Will I sometimes get overwhelmed? Maybe. But the good news is that I will move on and enjoy life. I can live life without her. I know that she is glad that I have discovered that.

No comments:

Post a Comment