Friday, November 25, 2011

Christmas Season Begins


Yes, it’s black Friday.  Last night it began at Wal-Mart at 10PM and then at other stores at different times of the night.  At some Wal-Mart’s, the people wouldn’t wait and broke down the barriers to get to the stuff early.  In California, some woman set off a bomb of pepper spray to make sure she was able to get her TV.  If you look at things like that and other incidents you will wonder what this world, and our country in particular, is coming too.  I’m glad I didn’t go out last night or today.  I did do the majority of my Christmas shopping in the past two days, but I did it online, over the Internet.  If this is all Christmas is about, then I don’t want any part of it.  Of course this has nothing to do with Christmas, and everything to do with human greed.  One of the very things Christmas came to save us from is what we are dealing with here right now.

Well enough of today, right now I’m sitting by the fire listening to Bing Crosby singing “Chestnuts roasting on an open fire”.  This brings back such good memories.  It seems like I can’t associate Christmas with anyone else but Bing Crosby and Perry Como.  Of course I do put Arthur Fielder and the Boston Pops in with that mix.  Sure, I listen to lots of other Christmas music, but these are the tunes that really stir up my old memories.  I can remember being over at my aunts “Sisters” listening to Bing Crosby singing Christmas music.  I remember Perry Como on TV and Dad had a Christmas album by Arthur Fielder that we wore out every Christmas.  Now I have them all on my Ipod Christmas play list. 

It’s amazing when you think about it.  I buy Christmas presents for people in Alaska and Florida while I live here.  I don’t have to wrap them or mail them.  I just purchase them over the Internet and have them shipped, usually for free, to the proper address.  I probably have over 300 hours of music on this little device that I can put in my pocket.  I can talk on a phone and see who I am talking to.  I can do all this, yet it is still so much fun to listen to these old songs and think about all the “good old” days.  Were they really so good?  Probably not, but that’s how we remember them.  If we are lucky, God edits out the pain and bad memories with time. 

Tomorrow we will try to get the tree put up. That’s a secondary focus of mine.  The first being the game, of course.  I really hope we will win, but it doesn’t look good.  Well, I guess that is why they actually play the game.  Oh well, I’m going to stop now and listen to the music, Bing is singing “White Christmas”.  I guess we will see that in a couple of weeks in Juneau.  I really do love Christmas.  It’s my favorite time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment