Sunday, July 17, 2011

Skilled Riders

I missed church today. It wasn’t because I was working, no, I was at the Harley Davidson store in Cartersville. I spent all day on a hot motorcycle dressed in long sleeves and jeans with helmet and gloves on. The sun was hot and I am totally exhausted. Why? That’s a great question. The reason is that I spent money to have someone home my skills on a motorcycle. Anyone can ride straight and level. Anyone can take a bike out and ride it down the street. But it takes an acquired skill if you really want to be able to ride in all situations and protect yourself in case of an emergency. These skills only come from practice and with great sacrifice through practice. That’s what I was doing today.

So, here I was all day honing my skills on the motorcycle. I was so involved, that I totally missed church. It was really a great time, and I really did learn a lot during the course. But think about this with me! How much time do we spend honing our skills in the Spirit. How much time do we need? Today was fun, but I know that there is so much more I can do to make myself more skilled in al the things of the Spirit.

Yes, I want more than just a place where we can meet. That would be good, and it’s great to have a certain place. But it’s not enough. I want to be able to have all the skills in the Spirit sharpened. I want to see more of the gifts of the Spirit being sharpened in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment