Monday, July 18, 2011

Birthdays and Moving Vans

Three of my favorite people had birthdays in the past two days. Today it was Lisa and my Dad. Yesterday it was Scott. So I am definitely thinking about birthdays today. Speaking of birthdays, I didn’t have one this year. Now I know how those people who are born on Feb 29th feel. This year we got on the plane in LA on the evening of the 24th of June and we landed in Sydney on the morning of the 26th. Somewhere over the Pacific, my birthday evaporated. I tell everybody that I get to stay the same age for another year. Know I know that is not true, but it helps mask the fact that I really did miss having a birthday.

Birthdays are special because they are really the only day of the year that you are celebrated. You are celebrated as you, for who you are, not what you have accomplished. That doesn’t happen very often. Normally you are only celebrated when your accomplishments stand out away from the crowd. But birthdays celebrate that you are born, that you exist on this planet. In my opinion, birthdays are one of the most important days that you celebrate all year long.

It’s always neat when you celebrate your birth date with someone that you know. Lisa and Dad share the same birthday. Julia shared the same birthday with Allene. I think that there is a special bond when you share the same date as your birthday with a family member. I can’t prove it but I think that it is true. Whether it is true or not, it really doesn’t matter. The facts remain that today was both Dad’s and Lisa’s birthday. So, what did I do. Nothing, because I had to stay home while the movers came to pack up stuff of Lisa’s that has been here in the house for awhile.

So it was a good day, it’s just that it took so long. They didn’t get to the house until after 11AM. They were supposed to be here by 10. They were here all day. It was after 4:30 when they finally left. I know that all the neighbors probably think that we are moving out since that big moving truck was in the drive all day. They will really think so when Kathy Little moves all of her stuff out of the basement this weekend. The basement is slowly getting uncluttered. But there will still be plenty left for me to do to get it totally cleaned out. It was good to see Lisa’s stuff packed up. It is only fitting that it is her birthday. It’s like we packed up a big present for her. It will just take a few weeks for her to get it.

But, the moving van did something else. It had unintended consequences. As it was here all day, I kept wishing that it was loading all of our stuff up too. Yes, the handwriting is on the wall, it has become obvious that this notion of two places to live will not work for long. We will definitely have to begin thinking about moving. But that is for another post. I just want to close by saying to all of you, Happy Birthday! I hope that you realize how much you are loved, and how uniquely you were created by God. Birthdays are very special, even when you celebrate them with a moving truck.

No comments:

Post a Comment