Thursday, July 28, 2011

Priorities

Have you ever noticed how easy it is to get your priorities out of line? I don’t know about you, but I constantly have to reevaluate what I am doing because it is so easy for me to get carried away with the project of the moment and forget about what is really important. I really don’t believe that I am alone in this. Males especially get so caught up in the doing that we sometimes forget that it is really all about “being”.

Today I had one of those wake up calls. Family, that’s what is really important, not conferences, not jobs and not even flights. We were heading back to Atlanta tomorrow, but I realized how much that we were needed here. It’s hard to be so far away from home, even when you really love where you are. I really hadn’t thought about how hard it has been for Lisa and the family to move and know that they are so far away from home. Today, I opened my eyes and realized that we had a chance to stay a few more days and we really needed to stay. So instead of leaving tomorrow, we are leaving Saturday morning.

There was no crisis, nothing that “made” me stay. No it was just in watching the family and talking to Lisa I realized how much it meant to her. If it means that much to her, it means more than that to me. Family is important. Quality time is important and this time together with Sheryl and I is an important time in our family’s life. But back to priorities; they are so easy to get messed up. I am blessed in that I have good communications in our family and that helps me understand what is going on. I’m also blessed to have a new wife who understands priorities as well, or better, than I do.

Today we were able to get out in the morning and take a hike through the rain forest to the beach. The weather was better than it had been, and we could see the glacier off in the distance. It was just pure, raw beauty. I can’t describe it, but it was totally different than last night. We meet Lisa for lunch, and then during the afternoon, Sheryl and I drove into Juneau to shop in the rain. It’s supposed to rain tomorrow, but who cares. We are going hiking tomorrow morning. That seems to be the best weather, so we are going to take advantage of it. Right now I am getting ready for bed. Sure I am busy, very busy. I leave for Chicago on Monday and back on Thursday. We have a bike trip scheduled. Sometime in August we want to go down to Ft Lauderdale to see Jennifer and the family. But once again, things are in their proper order. I feel good; order has been restored. Priorities are in order once again. It really is all about family, isn’t it.

No comments:

Post a Comment