Monday, May 24, 2010

Day 134 - 24 Ends

Sometimes writing is really a discipline. Tonight is one of those times. Here it is 10:34 PM and I am just starting writing my blog. That’s not unusual, but tonight, the last 2 hours of 24 were on TV. The problem was I haven’t seen them yet. I have the final 2 hours ever of 24 recorded on my DVR and I can’t watch them. If I start now, I will probably never get this writing done. So here I am in my rocking chair typing on my Mac, listening to Love Came Down.

The reason I haven’t watched 24 yet is because I have been at a cell group. This was not my cell; group we meet on Thursday nights. No this is the group of some friends. They asked if I would come and teach a little about prophecy and prophecy over their group. How could I turn that down? I even chose the Monday night I wanted. I just forgot that this was the final episode of 24 tonight. I took Brad and Mallory with me and we had a ball. To be honest, about 5PM I really didn’t want to go. I didn’t have a clue as to what we would do, and I really didn’t feel like it. But I knew that we were supposed to go, and that if we went, Holy Spirit would be there with us. The one main thing I learned in school last year was to be willing to sep out into areas where if He doesn’t show up, I will look like a fool. Well tonight was one of those nights, and He showed up in power. We were able to teach, answer questions and then prophecy over everyone in the cell (well we missed one person because she left early). The words seemed to be well received and pretty accurate. It is so much fun to do the Kingdom stuff. In fact I didn’t even miss 24 until I got home. I was about to make some popcorn and settle in to watch it when I remembered that I needed to write.

I remember when Julia and I first started watching 24. The first season on TV we didn’t watch it at all. About halfway through the season, we began to hear about it and were kicking ourselves for not starting it. When the DVD’s came out, I bought the whole season. We really didn’t know what it would be like or whether we would like it. I was concerned about whether she would like it or not. After all we had 24 episodes to watch. If she didn’t like it I didn’t know when I would ever get to see it. I knew we had to see the first season to move on to the next. We both started watching the first hour and we were both hooked. We had never seen a TV show so intense and fast moving. The content was relevant, sometimes almost prophetic, to what was going on in the world. The good thing about the DVD’s was there were no commercials. The bad thing was that the show was so intense you almost needed the commercials for some relief. Also, you could watch more than one episode at a time. We found ourselves in a 24 marathon. We would watch them until late into the night. We didn’t want to stop to go to bed or work or do anything. When the weekend came, that’s all we did until we had finished the season. At times we both thought we would have a heart attack things were so intense. The next year we couldn’t wait for the season to start. Then the next year and the next. I believe that this is the only show that Julia and I saw every show that was produced. We were talking earlier in December before she died about this season and how much we were looking forward to it. As the years progressed, we started to tape it so we could fast forward through the commercials. Plus by recording it, we were free to do what we wanted on Monday Night and catch up sometime that week. We would never watch it alone. We always waited to watch it together. It was just our thing. We would discuss the plot and what had happened. We always had different ideas about who the bad guys were or what was going to happen to Jack.

So here it is tonight the final show. It is going off the air after eight seasons. It’s been nine years since it started. One year they didn’t have the show because of the writer’s strike. We both were extremely disappointed that year, but the next year it was back and better than ever. This year has been good. I’ve missed my discussions with Julia as I watched it, but just watching it kept some semblance of order in my life. I knew that this was something we would be doing. Because of school I usually watched it later in the week, but that was OK too. I could almost feel her presence with me as I watched Jack save the world from the bad guys. So tonight another constant in my life changes; there will be no more 24 to watch. Another thing that I always did with Julia ends. I guess this is as it should be; old things do pass away. Her presence is still here even if the things we did together begin to disappear.

So, it’s 11:10 PM. The question is do I do the sensible thing and go to bed? I am off tomorrow. No, I think I will go ahead and make the popcorn, watch 24 and remember how much Julia and I enjoyed it together. I’m not sure if Jack will make it back. I think he might have gone to far this time. Well I will know by 1AM!

No comments:

Post a Comment