Sunday, June 27, 2010

Day 168 - Back to Mobile

Well, I’m back in Mobile tonight. After being at church this morning and then a late lunch, I started the drive around 3PM. It only took five and a half hours and was pretty uneventful. It is really good to see Anna Roan and Julia Anne. Of course it’s good to see Lisa also. Right now Lisa is trying to get Anna to sleep, so I figured that it was a good time to start my blog. I’m not sure whether I will finish it in one sitting or have to start it again later. Right now I’ll just play it by ear. As I look around the house I really miss Julia. Tomorrow is the last day before the movers come, and there is much to be done. So I’m sitting here asking this question: WWJD? No, it’s not “What would Jesus do?”. It’s “What would Julia do?” I know that she would have a plan. She would come in, look around and then sort things out in her mind. She would assign me various tasks, and I would get to work. Well, unless she shows up in my dreams tonight and tells me, we are on our own. So I will just work with Lisa and we will do the best we can. I’m sure that we will get it all done, eventually.

I have a love/hate relationship with UHaul. Fortunately, the Coast Guard is moving Lisa so all we have to do is take the things that she needs before her furniture arrives. Anyway UHaul has a slogan “Adventure in Moving”. Moving is always an adventure, and usually not a very good one. It doesn’t matter whether you are moving yourself or having someone else move you, it is still high on the stress level. My three and a half year old granddaughter said it best tonight. She said “Moving is hard work!” And the look on her face would confirm that she really meant it. Well, the adventure starts in earnest tomorrow. We have to separate what is being packed b the movers and what we are taking. That will take a lot of the day. I hope to get a run in, but we will see how the day unfolds.

Tuesday the movers come to pack up the boxes, and then they pack everything up on Wednesday. So sometimes between Tuesday and Wednesday we have to back the cars. We will drive out Wednesday afternoon for Atlanta. Hopefully we will get to my house at a halfway decent hour on Wednesday. Thursday, Adair and Meleah fly up, and Jennifer will come up on Saturday. It will be a full house next week, but it will be fun. I can’t wait to see all the grandkids together. They don’t get enough times to play together, and it will probably be even worse now that they will be so far apart.

So, here I sit, the house is totally quiet right now, sort of like the calm before the storm. Even the dogs are lying down. I am at peace; it’s good to be here, and to be able to help. I wish that I could be in two places at once because down in Ft Lauderdale, Jennifer and Sean are getting ready to move too. At least there move is local, but as I said earlier, any move is stressful, and they have to do it themselves. I really just want to tell Julia that it’s not fair for her to be gone and leave all of this. She was always the glue that kept everyone together during moves. She is always missed, but right now all of us feel the emptiness that her absence leaves. So, as I sit here tonight I really do ask the question “What would Julia do?” She leaves some very big shoes to fill. I’ll do the best I can and ask Holy Spirit to give us all grace to get the job done. Tomorrow should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment