Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Taking Down Christmas Decorations


We got back home yesterday afternoon.  It’s hard leaving 78 degree weather and coming back to temperatures in the low 40’s for a high.  But at least it was sunny.  I guess the wind blew all the clouds away.  Anyway, I was able to get to the gym for a quick run in the tread mill and then had to go to school.  I missed Monday night, but Sheryl and I were teaching a Sozo AMT during the last part of last night’s school.  We have three more Tuesday nights to teach and it has been fun working with a small group.

When we came home yesterday, Sheryl immediately started taking down the Christmas decorations.  When I came back from my run at the gym, I could tell she was getting serious.  The tree was in pieces on the floor and all the decorations were stacked up on the chairs around the tree.  So, the die is cast.  Today is the day to pack up all the decorations.  I guess that I will start bring up boxes after I finish this post.  We did manage to get to the gym for a workout this morning, and we have a couple of other places to go, but for the most part, it’s time to get the house back in order.

I hate taking down Christmas decorations.  I don’t mind putting them up, but there is something very depressing about taking them down.  It’s sort of like losing recess when I was in school.  Christmas decorations just mean fun.  When you take them down, it’s like saying the fun is over.  That’s why I usually am very hard to pin down when it comes to doing this.  But, they are already piled up now, so I really have no choice.  So, I guess we will get it done today.  The good news is that it will be done.  I guess it’s like taking medicine that taste bad.  You know that you have to do it, but you try to avoid it for as long as possible.  But when it’s over, you don’t have to deal with it for a while.

I have to stay positive, that is why I am working out, running and looking at my goals.  January can be a very depressing month if you are not careful.  It’s the end of Christmas and winter really sits in.  I have to look for things that are uplifting and positive.  But, then there are a few Christmas bills that have to be paid as well.  School starts a very long stretch.  No, it’s hard to stay positive, but I know that I will be able to do it.  So, I look at all the things that I have to be thankful for, and that brings me back to the reality that I am a very blessed man.  It’s a sunny day outside, and even though I have to put the decorations away, Christmas still lives in my heart.  Yes, I can carry that with me into this month of January.  Life is good, and I am glad to be involved in so much.  Now, to the boxes…

No comments:

Post a Comment